Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The emptiness when family leave........

Well Saturday was the departure of my sister and the family. We raced over to their hotel to say our final goodbye. There is no way to say goodbye and not feel a deep sadness at the fact you know you won’t be seeing them for quite some time. As I watched their car drive off I felt a yearning for the security of my Australia. Back home I have my roots and what has made me what I am today. As I donned on my sunglasses to hide the tears from my daughters I was also overwhelmed by their sadness accompanied by their own tears. For two weeks they had actually had family to play and fight with. Although my nieces and nephew are older there is nothing quite like family. I felt a sense of guilt for taking them away from this. The apartment seemed so empty! The two weeks they were here it was filled with laughter, screaming, food and more laughter. I made them walk so much that I think by the end of the two weeks they were grateful to get away from the endless “Tanya tour of Manhattan”. My sister and I have been through some very hard times as children. We went through the traumatic divorce of our parents. We were the kids that came from the “perfect” family to suddenly overnight be the “divorced” children in an unforgiving Catholic school environment. In the early 80’s divorced parents where rare and few especially in an all girls Catholic school. As if that was not hard enough we then were subjected to emotional abuse that we both endured at the hands of both step-parents. These life affecting situations we endured made us closer and stronger. I will always be there for my sister as I know she will always be there for me. Living on two different continents will never change! I think one thing that Theo said to me the other day really makes sense. He told me I always need to prepare myself for the goodbye. Life here has gone back to normal. I went for a run after 5 weeks since the operation which is great. My hand is healing very well too! My therapist has commented on how amazing my progress is and that my Surgeon is brilliant! My Travel Business has really taken off. I am currently working on quite a few European Vacation's some without Cruises. I think the years in the Travel Industry really has made a difference as I really have so much experience. I am grateful for the wonderful Clients I have and the wonderful referrals I am getting too! Keep them coming!!

2 comments:

Ghada Vanderpool said...

Hi Tanya, I can't remember how we connected, but I have been following your expedia cruise facebook page for awhile now. I am originally from Canada, married to a Kiwi and now we live in Brooklyn after 8 years in NZ. My inlaws are here at the moment from Christchurch and I completely understand the feeling you are describing. It's so nice to have them here, but so sad to see them go. I hope your sadness has lifted now :)
We should catch up at some point, I would love to hear more about the travel business too.

Unknown said...

Hi Ghada,

Thanks for reading :)
Where in Brooklyn do you live?

Yes I do speak to my family a bit thanks to skype.

Are you in the travel business also?
You can email me at my work email which is on the website or also on the facebook page.
Have a great LONG weekend!