Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I allowed to look for employment here now........................


The two weeks while Emma was here just flew bye so quickly. We did so much sightseeing which was great. The juggle with the kids was exhausting but a lot of fun. We both on the last night Emma was here attended our cousins wedding. We had a ball and were quite overwhelmed with the fact that we were with our cousins whom we had not seen since we were all kids.
Isabel and I went to JFK to see Emma off the day she left and it was very emotional. Until then I had not felt homesick whatsoever. After Emma left and we returned home for the first time I felt it. It was not so much home but my sister I missed. I was pretty down for a few days after. I do think that skype has helped me cope with things. The fact you can actually see someone when you speak helps a lot with the fact we are so apart geographically.

About a week after Emma left I finally got my work permit. I had applied for it three months ago and that is how long it takes. Up to then I really have had no desire to work. For the first time since having kids I love the fact it’s all about them. Don’t get me wrong I love my “days off” however it’s lovely to be able to relax and just enjoy them. I know they will not be this young forever and especially with Annika who has not started school yet. However since getting this work permit I have been thinking about maybe doing some part-time work.
After you receive this EAD (work permit) you can apply for a social security number. They are very handy to have so I went ahead and applied for it. Since then I am on a mission to get a job. I really don’t know what I want to do however not a lot is “Mom Friendly” here. So I am looking for something that can give me a work/life balance that is a top priority for both Hugo and myself.
I would love to experience what it’s like to work here and to get to know people this way? I have this once in a life time opportunity and I don’t want to let it go by. I know thousands would love to have the opportunity to work here in the USA and I have it. I am so glad I am old and wise as I am able to truly appreciate this once in a lifetime opportunity. Will keep you all posted on the job front.

No comments: