Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Recovery Frustration

Well it’s been over two weeks since the surgery. I have to say the swelling has gone down and slowly I feel my hand getting better. I have to wear this plastic splint and it immobilizes my thumb and wrist. When I do take it off my thumb and wrist does feel very weak. I am reaching the point of being very frustrated at the fact that some of the most menial tasks I simply cannot do. For those of you who know me personally would understand that the control freak in me is really having a hard time coping with this situation.Luckily I have been able to type so at least I have my work to keep my busy. I also think that using my hand for typing has helped with the circulation which in turn has helped the swelling. I have not been able to run so that too adds to my frustration as I really feel sluggish when I don’t keep fit. Lucky for me we walk so much here in Manhattan so at least I am doing some sort of movement. Annika is also now scootering everywhere which is a common mode of transport here on the Upper West Side. I am sure many adults despise kids weaving in and out however at the moment it’s the only way. I am unable to push a stroller and honestly I think she is too old now. Admittedly unlike back home where we drive everywhere here it's good old walking to get around. Children here you see in stroller’s way past an age that seems appropriate back home. Such difference circumstances so I totally understand why. I feel also we are again going into a different phase as a family here. Annika (touch wood) seems to be coming out of that horrific terrible 2’s and even worse 3 phases. It’s been a few weeks and we are now able to rationalize with her which is such a relief. We now even take her out for meals!! My family is here in a few days which is going to be so much fun. The weather has been very good so hopefully I will be able to do my tour guide thing in style.

No comments: