Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Ice Storm


Today was another first for me here in New York. As I have mentioned before we have had a few snow storms of late. We do get ample warning and I feel like I am a veteran of them now. We have our plan of action. It involves the girls wearing the appropriate foot ware and of course giving ourselves that little bit of extra time to take on the challenge. It’s always harder in the morning as the footpaths generally are at their worse. People are supposed to clear their footpath out the front of their properties. They are also supposed to sprinkle salt for traction. There is actually a fine that the department of sanitation will impose if this is not done as soon as possible.
So from yesterday they started warning about an ice storm that was going to hit New York City. They did say that it was the foot paths that would be the worst affected for the morning commute. They talked about maybe cancelling school again. I really wish they had. We left this morning with Annika in the stroller all covered in plastic (rain cover on). She is the luckiest as I put her in her arctic cocoon then the rain cover on top. Isabel had boots and coat. I cannot walk with an umbrella and the stroller as most mothers in my situation understand. We didn’t even get to the corner when I realised this was going to be even harder than walking through snow. The foot path had about ½ an inch of ice, just like an ice rink. As you get to the kerb you start to slide as it inclines down towards the actual road. I actually was really worried I could fall and the kids would be there to fend for themselves. I somehow navigated the stroller with one hand and held tightly onto Isabel who kept slipping and sliding. As I looked around it was a very familiar story with everyone trying to do the same. The drains are not draining as the ice has frozen over so the puddles are so deep you walk through icy water to get across the road. And to top it off it was raining quite heavy and freezing cold!
A trip that normally takes about 10 minutes took 30 mins and then I kept thinking that after leaving Isabel at school I needed to get back home.  I have to say it was not pleasant and I did feel a bit down as I knew it was best to stay indoors now which is something I dont like doing. As I turned the corner I saw my other man Theo. He was sitting under an awning with his walking frame. He could see I looked a bit distressed and he told me to think of the positive about it all. He then went on to tell me how all this precipitation was Mother Nature’s way of cleansing the pollution. Annika was so happy to see him and actually so was I . I need his optimism today.................thanks Theo!!

No comments: