Tuesday, July 12, 2011

DMV..... I feel like I am 17 all over again.


Today was the day I finally set aside to go and sit the test for my learners permit. Here in New York State my Australian Drivers license is no longer valid after three months. Being a resident here now I need to sit for a Drivers License pretty much like I am a 17 year old starting out from scratch. The only exception I don’t need to do the 50 hours of driving (thanks goodness).  I read the manual and yes there are a few differences with rules and signs. The main difference of course being they drive here on the other side!!!
The DMV office was an American version of our Roads and Traffic Authority Office back home. The usual line up but multiply it by ten as the population of Manhattan is a lot higher than Sydney. After the line up I was directed to have my photo done and my eyes tested. It was all pretty standard. I then was taken into another room to sit for the exam. It was very straight forward and passed. The next step is a five hour Drivers Education course I have booked to do on Friday night. So picture me the middle aged mother of two having a huge Friday night with other fellow drivers doing the same. Luckily the course is around the corner so I don’t have to travel far. The fact that I have been driving for 25 years has no relevance what so ever. I still have to complete this to attain a certificate so I can sit for my driving test. I will keep you all posted and I am sure it will be for reverting reading............NOT!
Also today I have started to post my blog in this wonderful website called “Mommy's Links”. It’s a great resource  for us Mother’s living here in New York. I know back home it’s the same as here as we seem to use the internet for more and more due to the sheer convenience of it all. I hope to have some American followers on my blog .I hope they find it amusing to see the Australian perspective of life here in New York.I also hope to make more friends and bring across some of my new Mommy friends here also.

No comments: