Friday, July 1, 2011

My Aussie Accent..........

It’s been a slow and actually a quite funny progression to what I refer to as my  “ telephone” accent.
I think I have mentioned in the past about the little pronunciation differences I have had to make to slightly alter my Australian accent. I remember when I use to go to Japan almost weekly with Ansett that I would slightly changed the way I pronounced things. This was done primarily to facilitate the whole communication factor between myself and the Japanese. As a matter of fact most of my colleagues did exactly the same. It’s something even to today we joke about but you do what you have to do. I have found myself doing the same here mainly to adapt a little bit easier. It is something I could turn off and on accordingly. It is helping me immensely especially during work communications over the phone where it seems my accent can be somewhat “difficult” to understand. I am working a lot over the phone with both Clients and the Cruise Liners. I have had to slow down and to really think twice before I speak. I have re acquainted myself to the phonetic alphabet which years ago was my best friend.  I deal with Travel documents that have no room for error. Especially when the errors are picked up at embarkation! It could mean a passenger to be refused boarding. I therefore have adapted this new “skill” to my CV.
Isabel has still maintained her accent except for a few words here and there that she now says differently. Annika however is totally picking up and American accent. She is extremely talkative and has always been a very communicative child. She was an early talker and now it seems she does it like a little New Yorker. It’s very cute!

No comments: