Monday, September 5, 2011

Yankee Stadium..........Go A-Rod :)


Yesterday Isabel and I went to watch our very first  baseball game here in New York. We went to see the famous Yankees play at the equally famous Yankees Stadium.
It was one of those experiences that first popped in my mind when initially Hugo and I discussed moving to New York. The other was the US Open. Luckily Hugo went on Saturday night to the US Open. It’s been a very sports oriented weekend for us both.
Isabel and I left to catch the subway and we were both just as excited as each other. As we boarded the train there was a sea of blue and pinstripes which are the distinctive Yankees colors which only intensified our excitement. Full of anticipation we headed out to The Bronx to finally experience one of those things we as Australians only ever watch on TV.
We arrived to the subway station across from the Stadium. As per typical New York style everything was so well organized that it was a breeze to walk from the subway to the actual Stadium. The Stadium itself looks like a Colosseum and it’s massive!
As I entered I was amazed to see the facilities. There was food catering for everyone in this melting pot of a city. There was gluten free, kosher and many more and of course those famous hot dogs. We proceeded up to the grandstand where our tickets were located. I walked it total awe of this place and I am sure I must have looked like a child in a candy store. It’s like nothing I had ever seen before. I have been to probably most sporting venues in Sydney and this is no comparison.
We found our seats and with a glass which I am sure was a gallon of Becks beer (Isabel had water) we sat to enjoy the ball game.
The atmosphere was electric and I encourage anyone who ever may have the chance to attend a game to do so. It’s the quintessential American experience that words just cannot describe. It would just not do it justice. I have posted a photo which I think captures my excitement and joy at being there.

No comments: