Saturday, October 1, 2011

Isabel’s first concert (Black Eyed Peas @ Central Park)


Last night was an amazing night. It was amazing at so many different levels that I will try my best to describe them. Initially the trek through what is an amazing amount of security was so seamless and efficient. This is something that still leaves me amazed. The diversity of the crowd left me speechless. I suppose my idea of an outdoor concert has probably been tainted by the experiences I have had as a youth back home in Sydney. Unfortunately and it’s not something I personally am proud of however in Australia we have the dreaded alcohol issue that inadvertently effect most outdoor concerts. My experiences have always been marred by either an alcohol fueled argument or fight that has happen either around me or directly to the group I was part of. I don’t understand why people with obvious anger management issues drink but it is a part of Australian culture. It’s not something Australians should be proud of either. My initial reaction when I won these tickets was my recollection of these incidents. It concerned me because I knew Isabel would love to come however her safely would be my concern. I remember being 19 and at the huge Michael Jackson concert at Parramatta Stadium. My boyfriend and the time was a policeman and witness such an act and tried to break it up. After watching such a wonderful concert it ended on such a sour note. Luckily we were not hurt just shaken up. There are always such issues for example New Year’s Eve down on Sydney Harbor. It’s the excessive drinking that seems to be the cause most of the time.
American Culture is very different in their outlook towards alcohol. In fact it seems to be the other extreme. Don’t get me wrong I love my wine like any other Australian. I just don’t like violence fueled by alcohol.
Last night I witness a celebration of music that was fueled by pure positive energy. Not a drop of grog anywhere to be seen. I have never seen the Black Eyed Peas live before. What they performed was an electric performance full of high energy hip hop and visual magnificence. The diversity of the crowd was just amazing. Not like what I am used to. There were babies, kids, teenagers, adults, seniors every type of person imaginable.
Isabel danced like I had never ever seen her do. She had no inhibitions and was happy to just express in dance her excitement. It’s one of the aspects of American culture that I admire so much. It’s the freedom to express who you are with no fear of judgement or ridicule.
There was no violence instead happiness and smiles. I truly can say I had never ever experienced anything like it. Half way through the concert the rain started and we decided to just keep on enjoying ourselves. It was an experience so typically New York and we were not going to let some silly rain stop us from continuing to enjoy this spectacular night.
The Black Eyed Peas managed to raise 4 million dollars to the poor of New York! What an amazing act they are!!


No comments: