Monday, January 3, 2011

Hiring a Babysitter for “Date night”

I don’t know if anyone that reads this blog has seen the movie “Date Night”? If you have you can probably relate to a lot of what I am about to write about. Dr Phil promotes it and it’s very much a common terminology they use here but the “date night” is a night when Mom and Dad get a leave pass from their kids. I know we do it back home but I have really got into this terminology as I find it much more exciting that just saying “were going out”. Date night brings all those memories of excitement and anticipation that come with a first date...so to me "date night" makes me feel like I am 20 again I just love it!!!
In the movie “date night” both the characters played by Tina Fay and Steve Carell decided to hit trendy TriBeca to an inclusive Manhattan Restaurant. Unlike the movie where they get caught in a night from hell, Hugo and I would just like to try out some of these local Restaurants and actually be able to eat without having to juggle a toddler. Being in Manhattan away from family and friends obviously we have had to try and get a  babysitter. I have asked around and I have been referred people but it’s not been easy till I discovered sittercity.
This website was recommended to me by another Mother and it’s very much what people do here to find the right people to take care of the kids. I have managed to find out what rates are and what these sitters expect so I decided to give it a go. Like I have mentioned before EVERYTHING is done online which I absolutely love. If you are technologically challenged New York is NOT for you. To this day AMAZON is my best friend and I could not get by with our www.freshdirect.com or www.diapers.com .
So I began this morning while Annika slept and I placed a simple ad asking for help maybe for a couple of hours on two Saturday nights a month. I think that it’s almost 12 hours later and I have had 75 applications. I have spent all day sifting through and culling down to a few. And even then I get more emails with more applications. It seems there is an oversupply of babysitters in Manhattan!!
Suffice to say it’s great! I am meeting one with Isabel on Saturday at Starbucks. I hope to meet another one maybe on Sunday. On paper some look amazing however doesn’t matter how many degrees and references if I don’t click with them it’s not going to work. They all come with background checks and its very much the way things are done here. Its so efficient!! I just love this place.
Will keep you all updated on the babysitter and then the big even our first New York DATE NIGHT woooooo hooooooo

No comments: