Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years Eve 2010..........Bring on 2011


Finally it’s New Years Eve and I suppose to me it’s another milestone in my Manhattan journey. The city has been crazy with trying to get Times Square clear of snow and they have done an amazing job to get it perfect for the night. The news has been dominated by this clean up and really the lack of it to the outer boroughs. I have to say that living in Manhattan we have not had the major inconveniences that the other boroughs have had. It’s so serious that they are going to have an investigation as to why it took so long to clear the streets? Ok maybe it’s the Australian in me but personally I think they have done an excellent job. I know that if something like this happened back home the response time would have been a lot longer.
Hugo has been given the day off as many people have as they do not get Monday as a public holiday like they do in Australia. Oh and another day they don’t do is “boxing day” they have never heard of it.
After going to the gym which is great here as they have childminding every day we didn’t do much. Life is so different to my 20’s and 30’s where New Year’s Eve was such an anticipated event. It would take months of planning and making sure that I was attending the right event. Then the whole wardrobe dilemma would come into play and that was even more important sometimes than the event!! Oh how things have changed and I realise now how much energy I must have wasted worrying about the right outfit. In saying that I have to say I do go to much more effort here than I did in Maroubra. And how can you not worry about your wardrobe when you are living in one of the fashion capitals of the world? Everyone is very well dressed and groomed so I now wear makeup every day. I have to say here I have started feeling like the old Tanya and I think that is why I feel so happy here. As a matter of fact I feel very alive which in turn has made me very happy here and I was telling Hugo last night the same thing. I think back home I had allowed myself to get into a routine and as good as routine is for kids it can lead to predictability which can be boring at times. This is the element that I love about New York, its constantly changing. So I am excited to see what 2011 brings to us.
After having a Mexican take out dinner and a few beers everyone including Hugo went to be so I was left to watch the ball drop in Times Square on my own. I have always watched clips of it on the news every year but I was so excited to be sitting in New York watching it live. It was a wonderful performance of many well known artists and then the countdown was great! What I absolutely loved is that they sung New York by Frank Sinatra.............how perfect . Happy New year to all

No comments: