Monday, December 13, 2010

Schools, Pre schools and Nannies in Manhattan


Its 4 weeks today since I arrived and even thought it has gone so fast I cannot believe what we have accomplished also. As I type this I now have Isabel attending school and Annika due to start a preschool tomorrow.
Isabel started school on Wednesday and I am still trying to get my head around the size of the school. Isabel attended St Aidans at Maroubra which was a lovely catholic school back home with a total of about 300 students. She is now attending PS87 which has well over one thousand kids!!!
In her year alone there is six grade two’s. We were zoned for this school and its approximately ½ a mile from our home. The zoning rules are pretty much the same except here the areas are much smaller as the population is a lot larger. The big difference here is the problem with overcrowding.  We knew this before we came over so when we looked for apartments we made sure we were in the “right” areas. Isabel loves the school and we all have been treated like VIP’s. I just find the Americans so welcoming and it’s just been amazing having parents both email and come up to me to welcome and offer any assistance.
Unfortunately the preschool situation is not so easy they range from $7000-$14000 a year for just two days a week. There is a lot of pressure amongst parents here in the Upper west side to get the right start for your child as ultimately it will determine everything?? These preschool also help the chances of the children to get into the right private schools and that is a major concern to parents as there is just not enought spaces.. I have read some stories about interviews and the selection process and the stress the parents and children go to. I  knew that was not for me as I would hate to put Annika through that. I have been to see a few and I have decided to go with a little Nursery school which to us Aussie’s is more like a family day care. Janet is lovely and she is based from her lovely apartment just next to Central Park. As space is an issue here proximity to a playground is a big selling point as they can then get the kids out for a play. Although we are in winter now they still get them out as long as it’s over say 5 degrees otherwise they go to one of the many museums catering for kids here in this city. I have booked Annika in for two days a week from 9.00am till 2.00pm so finally I will get a chance to do some of the things I have been dying to do.


No comments: