Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Terrible two’s in Manhattan


Can someone tell me why I had forgotten how bloody hard this phase is?? I knew things were going to be somewhat challenging, moving our whole family over here but I am sure I had forgotten how bad it can really get. Since Hugo took off to NYC and I stayed back in Sydney I have really been tested in my patience and sanity. Those who have children realise how you have certain limits with toddlers before all hell breaks loose. This time around I seem to just be more accepting of the meltdown, tantrum or whatever you want to call them however it does not make it any easier especially on your own trying to organize  an relocation to NYC.
Since we got to New York over three weeks ago the main focus has been to settle into our new life. We have apprehensively tried to go sightseeing on the weekend but things have had to be somewhat modified due to our developing toddler Annika.  This time around I wanted to try and  make her adapted to our lifestyle but the truth be said it’s more like us having to work around madam. It’s just such a magical place at the moment New York with all the decorations for the holidays and the excitement I have when I get to somewhere I have dreamt all my life of seeing is worth it. I have pushed for us to keep on trying as I know this phase will end eventually so until then we are just doing what we can when we can. The main issue is the tantrums and they ALWAYS seem to happen at the worse possible places imaginable. An example of what I can now laugh about was our trip to “toys r us” Times Square on Saturday. I wanted to take the kids in as they really don’t have any idea what they want for Christmas. I knew it would be busy but gee was in for a huge shock. It seemed that everyone else in New York had the same idea. Maybe it is because the weather has turned cold or the fact Christmas is around the corner it seems that “toys r us” was the “it” place when we went. We walked in and it was this flow of humans you just had to keep up with and there was no room to stop or do anything. I told Hugo to take Isabel and I took Annika in the stroller and just went with the human wave. It was ridiculous you could not even stop without people just crashing into you. As per usual Annika started whinging about getting out of the stroller and then as if this was not stressful enough Isabel starts with the wanting to go on the Ferris wheel. This toys r Us is just amazing!! It has a Ferris wheel in the middle of the shop and the queue up for it was probably well over one hour wait. I believe it’s been in a few movies too. Anyway to cut a long story short we decided that Hugo would carry Annika and I would collapse the stroller so we could get through to the Ferris wheel. And then right on cue Miss Annika decided to have a meltdown whilst in Hugo’s arms and kicks down this huge display of cars I think. I could not help but burst into laughter. I could see by Hugo’s face he was embarrassed however he could not even bend over to pick it up as the wave of people just kept pushing him along. Well then the plan was to find the nearest exit fast and off we left. I now have decided to shop online for their toys like a true New Yorker and a very tired Mom!!


No comments: